August 20, 2011

Not a Knitter!

A while back, a friend wanted to trade crafty skills. I taught her the basics of crocheting, and she returned the favor by giving me a few pointers in knitting. After tinkering with this new craft for a few weeks and heavily consulting this very useful website: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit, I've got the basics down. ......and I decided I don't like it! There's not many crafts out there I don't enjoy, but knitting is on that list, I hate to say. It's not unbearable, but it's rather annoying, having learned crochet first. Knitting jsut seems so slow, tedious, and fickle. Projects take entirely too long to grow and finish. It's very easy to make mistakes (where did that stitch go???), and frogging back to repair a mistake or add in a forgotten stitch is a headache. I decided I have to knit something, just to say and prove that I can do it. But I'm looking forward to being done with it! I settled on this pattern from ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/december-is-for-stephanie, and I'm using Red Heart Super Savers yarn in Real Teal. Love the color, even though it'll be fairly scratchy for a scarf. Not sure what else to make with the yarn, and at least the color will make me a little happier while I create my one-and-only knit project.

3 comments:

  1. My advice for a first time knitter is to start with a solid fabric, not something with holes or lacy details. I learned to knit before I learned to crochet, and I made quite a few solid garter stitch and stockinette scarves and hats before I ever tried my hand at anything more elaborate. And once I did, I switched to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I practiced quite a bit on scraps with the basic stitches, then jumped to the lace stuff out of boredom. But I'm giving your advice a try. It's actually going pretty well right now! Making a solid scarf out of a mottled blue Homespun brand yarn I bought off a friend (thus why I don't know the exact colorway). The pattern I'm knitting is a 1-row repeat: *K2, P2* repeat to desired width of scarf, K2, P1. Turn. It makes a wide ripple fabric, and it varies enough to not be boring, but not be a pain in the butt, either. But I am curious: why does the side of the work with the starting tail end up a little shorter than the other side?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're stitches at the beginning are tighter. Apparently you relax/loosen up as you proceed in your knitting routine. :)

    ReplyDelete